Sunday, March 20, 2011

I cancelled my subscription to the Enquirer

Posted by The Dean of Cincinnati

Photo courtesy of here.

So I had a Sunday subscription to the Enquirer.  I had this for a few reasons:  first, my wife wants the coupons; second, I like reading the “First in Print” stories a day earlier; and third, even though I have issues with the Enquirer, I do think it important for a city to have a daily paper, and part of me wanted to support that ideal, even though I disagreed with the paper on other issues.  But this week, I could not in good conscience support them anymore, due to their endorsement of SB 5 and their refusal to cover the recent labor rally on Fountain Square.  The latter is probably the most offensive concept to me.

I understand a newspaper’s desire to endorse issues, and I’m not surprised the Enquirer would endorse views opposite of my own.  They have a long history of doing things like that!  I must wonder, however, in contentious times as these, how taking sides on a highly controversial issue is good for business, but I suppose that’s another matter.

The Enquirer says they were not notified of the pro-labor rally on Fountain Square.  This position is laughable for a variety of reasons—the most obvious being that every other local media source managed to get people on the scene, and Fountain Square is just a few blocks from their headquarters.  Even without making it to the scene, they could have easily patched together coverage the next day, should they have had a desire.  All they had to do was contact area organizers for a statement.  But they didn’t.  And that’s a problem, as far as I’m concerned.

This seems to indicate their editorial perspectives interfering with what is supposed to be their “objective” news coverage.  Now, I’m not saying I think the Enquirer is an exemplar of unbiased reporting, but that’s not the point.

There comes a point where I have to decide if my desire to see Cincinnati have a daily paper outweighs what I value as a social and political agenda.  With the manner by which the middle class is under attack by Republicans, I cannot support an organization that would assist in the attack.

I have cancelled my Enquirer subscription, and I don’t know if I’ll ever get another one.

You can cancel your subscription pretty easily by phone:  1-800-876-4500.  They’ll ask why you are cancelling and you can tell them your reasons.

1. Tlex Ariantafilou says:

Did your kid(s?) read the paper?

2. I'm Witless News says:

After several rounds of firing reporters and editors, the Enquirer newsroom is a ghost town compared to what it was five or 10 years ago. Because the company’s market research has it focusing its news gathering on the I-275 beltway and growing white middle-class suburbs like Mason, West Chester and parts of Northern Kentucky, it often has no one to keep tabs on news right under its nose. Take the night that the Waterfront restaurant broke free from its moorings in Covington and threatened to take a dining room full of customers for a ride down the Ohio River. The Enquirer didn’t have a single reporter available to go to the scene. This, my friends, is how far the Enquirer has fallen.

3. CAJD says:

Right on.  I haven’t had a subscription in years. On occassion, I’ll read an article online, but when possible I seek other news sources.  If it is true that the paper is trying to focus on suburbs, great.  I have long been sick of the paper that is not friend to black communities and everybody knows it.

check out what former mayor had to say about that paper.

4. Jones says:

This is small potatoes. A step in the right direction, but little spuds. What are you doing about product manufacturers, etc., that have contributed to the various campaigns to get pro-SB 5 legislators elected? Boycotting/non-purchase of the variety of products goes a long way. Email the manufacturers & tell them why you won’t be purchasing their products anytime soon. Are you participating in a Teachers Union effort to do a mass mailing to the pro-SB5 manufacturers? Several other municipal workers’ unions have already started long ago.

Lists of companies targeted for boycott are all over the net. Might want to get plugged in. This is a massive job that needs to get done by all hands who do not support SB5. I’m doing it & I also hold down a full-time job & run a household.

5. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Of course they’re concentrating on the suburbs, you dolts!  City people can’t read.