Friday, March 20, 2009

Grumpy Ole (Tea) Party!

Posted by Justin Jeffre

Grumpy Ole Party, Cincinnati Tea Party, Fountain Square, March, 2009 from Cincinnati Beacon on Vimeo.

1. CincyJeff says:

Great video Justin!  It looked to me like 5000 citizens having a good time and getting together to express their opinion on something, the kind of citizen action that the Beacon actively promotes.  And when one crazy lady tried to rain on the parade, no problem, they just had fun with her too.  I enjoyed both the event and your video.

2. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Thanks. I’m glad you like the video. I’d say there was 5,000 people there.

3. .Cincy..Capell. says:

Great video. The right wingers revealed themselves as the knuckle dragging neanderthals that they are.

4. anon says:

Pretty excellent video guys.  Where you able to verify that they were calling her a welfare queen?  Or who this woman was?

Sure looked like a group of scary klansmen to me.  Klansmen clothed in their yuppie cover-ups.

I applaud everyone’s right to protest - even greedy, selfish people who want to maintain their status even as their friends and neighbor, employees, and community bear the burden so they can drive Hummers and live in their McMansions.  Lord, what’s wrong with these people.  Don’t they listen during the church sermon.

5. emanon2225 says:

By golly we have a hootenanny.  some tough and threatening characters there.

6. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Of the many things I could say, what about the angry white guy in the blue?  He was not having fun…

7. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

There were quite a few people that weren’t having fun. You can see people trying to talk down some angry people. I thought the guy in the chicken suit saying global warming was a hoax was the funniest. I think he was with team Sarah.

8. CincyJeff says:

Dean, Justin, what is your opinion about the angry people in this video?

9. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

CincyJeff,

I watched the first two minutes.  If there is something that different happens, I’ll watch the ending.  But I get it.

Those were people who did not like Republicans for political reasons.  They were expressing their discontent.

What does that mean?

Another said that a “racist joke” was the Obama administration.

What does that mean?

Of all the things to say to the Black lady, why “Get a job” and “Welfare mom”?

“FACT: the number of number of middle fingers in a “progressive” crowd is directly proportional to the number of PHD degrees in the ten-block radius.”

I’ve seen that video before and was struck by the anti-intellectual mindset of the producers of the video. Why do the right-wingers rail against intellectuals? Should we be basing our public and foreign policy on emotions and feelings or well thought out positions?

The video uses this theme of right wing talking points like when it says “Liberal Elites believe that all ideologies are morally equal… except the one that supports capitalism and individual freedom.”

Well, first of all, what makes the crowd of people “Liberal Elites”? They aren’t in suites; they seem to just be people at a festival.  Just because they don’t like John McCain and Sarah Palin doesn’t mean they don’t support capitalism. The Democrats aren’t socialist-that is absolute nonsense. People who feel like the Democrats are socialist aren’t thinking, they are using feelings, stereotypes and emotions instead of logical and rational thought.

Obama took more money from the country’s “elites” than the Republicans did for the first time. The Republicans are used to getting the support of the countries elites. These elites own both parties.

There are many people that oppose the constitutional shredding Patriot Act, but it wasn’t McCain, Palin and the GOP. Obama flip flopped on the issue and he and the Corporate Democrats support the Patriot Act. It is bipartisan, but the Democrats act like they oppose it. How Republicans can pretend they are a party that is for “liberties” is beyond me.

“FACT: Islamic radicals would be more welcome on the Upper West Side than American patriots. The “liberals” always extend their sympathy for being bullied and rejected.. not to the American patriots… but to America’s enemies.”

The video goes on to say “The leftist idea of unity is, and always has been THE ELIMINATION OF DISSENT”. It was the Bush administration that said “you are either with us or the terrorists after 9/11”.

The beginning of the video says the McCain supporters are “infidels in a liberal Mecca”. Aside from being xenophobic, it clearly tries to portray the people that don’t support McCain as being unpatriotic and supporting Al Qaeda. Is that being open minded to dissenting views?

Some Republicans (like Sarah Palin) pretend that they are the “real Americans” (even though her husband was an anti-government seperatist) and that the people who live in places like NY are “elites” that “hate America”. Well, it is the people in NY that were the victims of attacks and would be most likely to be attacked again. To have people like Palin questioning their patriotism must be very annoying. The worlds largest terrorist operations are run out of Washington DC.

But let’s just stick to our video and Cincy’s event. I agree with the Dean, the crowd was made up of older white people from the suburbs. There’s a lot of racist attitudes that come from the GOP and I saw some on display that day.

I don’t support Obama or the Democrats, but I recognize that there wasn’t this outrage from these right wingers when Bush was giving away welfare to the crooks on Wall Street and getting rid of our civil liberties.

The GOPers didn’t need a police escort in NY. At the Cincinnati rally even the media didn’t feel safe and if a police officer wasn’t following that black woman around I honestly would’ve feared for her safety.

Instead of treating politics the same as mindless spectators treat sports, we would be better off to engage in more intellectual discussions about the direction of our country.

11. Daniel Faradey says:

Well said Justin,
    I have always found it amusing how people from both sides of the spectrum put on these elaborate demonstrations with signs and chants. What really are they accomplishing? Isn’t there a better way to get your view out?
    I’m all for free speech, but I feel most of these types of rallies do more damage than good. They are just preaching to the choir.

12. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Yes, but I do think these events serve a purpose—pushing concepts towards the critical mass.  The spectator level of politics tries to push the concepts into more popular consciousness.

With sports, when something hits critical mass, maybe you’ll thinking about something sports-related—from the behavior of football players off the field to management decisions.

Likewise, when this hits critical mass, perhaps you’ll think more deeply about Obama’s tax policy or the racism of the GOP.

These events are not an end in and of themselves, and they certainly don’t constitute a pinnacle of thought, I’m just saying they may serve a greater role.

13. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

There’s nothing wrong with having a rally and sometimes the choir needs to be preached to, but it should go beyond that. To just have a pep rally without watching your team compete seems kind of silly. I mean why not take your best spokespeople and have them debate the other side’s best spokespeople? Instead all we really see are rally’s like this that appeal to that reptilian part of the brain and the lowest common denominator.

We as a nation need to rethink the way we think and communicate about politics. We all drink the same water, breathe the same air and have the same basic needs.

14. anon says:

Dean’s absolutely right - the comments from the larger crowd were racist, based on racial stereotypes.  This woman needs to file a criminal complaint for racial intimidation against the leaders of the program and the unknown individuals.  It is time to “out” the unkept, dirty little secret off the local GOP.

As to the other tape - I didn’t hear a single person personally attacking a demonstrator only the proper middle finger salute in opposition to their views.  AND that, my friend, is the difference between those pesky “intellectuals” with degrees and the GOP - they attack ideas, not people with racist comments and physicially intimidating behaviors.

15. Citizens Against Joe Deters says:

CincyJeff

What about that lady appeared to be crazy?  Protesting Protestors. Get a grip!

Finney—Figures

Malone—interesting

Schmidt, Winburn—What the hell were they doing there.  I like them.

Man with the Burger King hat—I like seeing him around.

Kids Protesting—start them early

President Obama—My hero.

GOP Party—Hate is not funny!

Where was Joe Deters and his boy Jim?

16. CincyJeff says:

“So, if people had booed the Obama supporter, that would be one thing.  But what does the phrase “Get a job” mean in this context?”

‘Get a job’ and ‘get a life’ are common stand-by insults used against those who see the person annoying them as wasting time.

“One sign that was kind of hard to see on the video (so we didn’t include it, but perhaps we can get a screenshot) said something like “How to get rid of Obama,” and then a picture of a roll of toilet paper.

“What does that mean?”

It means they’re saying Obama is a piece of shit.  I doubt you really needed me to explain that….unless you’re so busy looking for racism that you missed what was right in front of you.

“Another said that a “racist joke” was the Obama administration.

“What does that mean?”

It means some people tell better jokes than others.  Seriously, you can’t suggest that sign is promoting racism.  There’s nothing on that sign suggesting Obama is unfit for the job because he’s black.  The only thing wrong with the sign is it’s a joke that falls flat.

“Why were a bunch of white people circle this Black woman, telling her to get a job?  Though not caught on our video, it was also reported by more than one source that the crowd later chanted “Welfare mom.”

“These kinds of statements move away from characterizing this woman’s political beliefs.  They tap into stereotypes that reek of racism.”

I did not hear anyone call her a welfare mom, nor have I read it at any published source.  If they did, that would be the one thing said that I couldn’t really defend.  And that’s because I have no possible way of looking at her or listening to her beliefs and determining whether she’s a mom.  So if someone called her a “welfare mom”, that would not be proper conduct.

Now other phrases using the word welfare are perfectly legitimate, so long as they’re tied to policy and not based on racial stereotypes.  This crazy lady showed up to defend Obama’s Welfare for Wall Street policies.  I personally heard her say, “Barack Obama will take care of you,” and “Obama will take care of your mommas.”  Based on her own acts and statements I can plainly conclude she’s in support of both Wall Street Welfare and Welfare State policies.  So if someone wants to call her some variation of a welfare promoter they’ve got all the justification they need.

After all these articles written about the event and all these exchanges, nobody can substantiate any overtly racist statement?  The closest thing we have is the phrase “welfare mom”, which may not have been said at all.  That is worth all this time?

I’m surprised you didn’t find more fault with the hateful video of the heckling against McCain supporters holding a peaceful march.  Among other things, they were called Nazis, had numerous middle fingers gestered at them, and were told by many to get out of there.  It’s perfectly ok for liberals to behave like that, but if someone tells a liberal to get a job and follows her “Obama” chant with the shout of “sucks” then it’s proof of mass racism.

17. Jamar Henderson says:

Seriously,

Opposing a very civil Tea Party? C’mon, Dean. You can do better than that.

Nobody but nobody is angrier and nastier than liberals. They are the most outspoken, rude, crude, aggressive, profanity-obsessed people you’ll ever meet or see demonstrate in the streets. Whoever posted that YouTube video doesn’t know the half of it. I’ve seen far worse in terms of abuse against Republicans—-especially against me, since I’m a black Republican.  Liberals are racists against black Republicans. There is no skin color more hated among liberals than “republican chocolate.”

The suggestion that Obama’s economic policies are opposed by “knuckle draggers” shows a level of ignorance that is simply dangerous. Liberal Obama supporters like Warren Buffet and Jim Cramer are warning that Obama’s policies will take down the economy and perhaps the entire private sector.

Liberals are all about raw emotion and no thought or reason. They know nothing about economies or businesses—-most have never run a business in their lives. Have have a complete lack of education on economic matters, and it shows in the policies of Obama-Carter.

18. Blue CHip Republican slander says:

Incredibly, knowing nothing about this woman, one of the Blue Chip Republicans leading spokesman publicly labelled the woman a “welfare whore” on the Enquirer’s blog.  Unreal

“It’s not just her. The fat cats at AIG and the rest of Wall Street are welfare whores just like this woman is. Too many people want the government to provide for them when they’re perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. I’m not going to be any more tolerant of welfare queens on Wall Street than I am of welfare queens heckling at an anti-stimulus event.”

Jeff Cappell

19. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Seriously, the Tea Party wasn’t very civil. People in the media were harassed and felt the need to seek safety near police. I witnessed some nasty things said to a lady and some people got in her face. If a policeman hadn’t been following closely (would that have been necessary if it was civil?) I think there might have been a serious incident.

I didn’t know Republican chocolate was a color. I think black Republicans are as silly as gay Republicans. Why would you want to be a part of a party that is racist and homophobic? What has the Republican Party done for black people?

Liberals are all about raw emotion and no thought or reason.

Did you see the anti-intellectual comments in the Republican video? See comment #10 where I quote them.

Jimmy Carter owned a successful business and George W. Bush didn’t. Historians rank Bush among the worst presidents ever, not Carter. I assume you know that there was a Democrats in between Carter and Obama. His policies were closer to Obama’s and the Republicans neoliberal policies.

20. CincyJeff says:

I think black Republicans are as silly as gay Republicans.

Justin, are you suggesting that this individual is required to act a certain way because of his race?  I thought the anti-racist types opposed requiring people to fit into racial stereotypes.  Please clarify this remark, because I can’t imagine you really meant it the way it comes across.

21. CincyJeff says:

You’re right.  So why do you focus on the crap in this article and not on the program at this rally itself.  The Beacon hasn’t covered anything about the speakers, anything about the views of the 99% of people there who represented the goals of the teaparty, anything about Obama’s $800 billion Welfare for Wall Street policies, anything about Obama’s $700 stimulus, anything about Obama’s $1 trillion plan to help banks unload toxic assets they bought (more corporate welfare).

All of these would have made good stories.  All are conversations we should be having.  Instead we’re left reading about one crazy heckler and the few who heckled her back.  A few people screaming are not the important issues facing our country.

Now I don’t want to just criticize.  If you’re willing to publish it, I’ll be happy to write a beacon-quality article about any of the above.

22. Jamar Henderson says:

Why would you want to be a part of a party that is racist and homophobic?

You’d have to ask a Democrat for the answer to that one. Republicans are the only ones who don’t repeatedly profile me based on my race (African American).  Democrats see only my race. They profile my every thought and move by my race. It’s all they talk about is race. Republicans have moved way forward beyond the 1960s Civil Rights era. Democrats are stuck in the past.

What has the Republican Party done for black people?

Um…the Republican Party emancipated the black slaves starting with Republican Abraham Lincoln. It’s the Dixie Democrats who keep the black man on the plantation—first in the cotton fields and now in the urban Democrat-run ghetto-warehouses.

23. Citizens Against Joe Deters says:

Bingo!

JJ put it nicely. The true welfare crooks or the bankers and wall street people.

Jamar Henderson why make blanket statements?  All liberals aren’t mean and nasty. All Gop aren’t mean and nasty (some of them perhaps). Re read highlighted quote that is in bold.

24. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Republicans have moved way forward beyond the 1960s Civil Rights era.

No, they haven’t. What the GOP did in 2000 and 2004 was disgusting.

What has the Republican Party done for black people?

Um…you have to go back to the 1860s to find the Republican Party doing anything for black people. Pathetic!

25. Justice says:

The estimate was about 5000 people who showed up on Fountain Square to listen to Barack Obama when he spoke at the NAACP convention last summer. In this video, its obvious that there is plenty of walking room and space. Half of the people seemed to be out enjoying the day, not protesting. If there was anywhere near 1000 there, its pushing it to the max. These misguided republicans owe the failure of their kid’s futures to the Bush wars against everything human, but they will never admit it.

PS, Loved the banjo-picking music in the background!

26. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Justice, I think there was about 5,000 people there. I got some shots that looked full of peopel. And I don’t think you can compare a rally where there’s a major candidate there. The turnout was impressive.