Sunday, November 23, 2008

Green Friday!  A new twist for “Buy Nothing Day” and “Black Friday”

Posted by The Dean of Cincinnati

Each year, I usually throw up a meager post to encourage people to participate in “Buy Nothing Day.”  However, facing the current economic crisis has changed my thinking about Buy Nothing Day, though I agree with its principles.  So I’m thinking its time to promote an alternative to Buy Nothing Day—specifically a day based on buying Earth friendly products from local businesses.

From the Buy Nothing Day page linked above:

As the planet starts heating up, maybe it’s time to finally go cold turkey. Take the personal challenge by locking up your debit card, your credit cards, your money clip, and see what it feels like to opt out of consumer culture completely, even if only for 24 hours. Like the millions of people who have done this fast before you, you may be rewarded with a life-changing epiphany. While you’re at it, what better time to point out real alternatives to unbridled consumption – and the climate uncertainty that it entails – by taking your BND spirit to the streets?

I’m aware, in a very vague, general, abstract sense, that part of our country’s economic crisis relates to the consumer culture of American capitalism—and that when people stop buying, there are less jobs, higher unemployment, weakening economy, and so forth.

At the same time, I’m aware that our same consumer culture is a danger to the Earth, to say nothing of the millions of Americans living in ever-growing debt.

So, I’m proposing that people take a new approach to both “Black Friday” and “Buy Nothing Day.”  I’d like to propose “Green Friday!”

This holiday season, kick off the spending season by buying Earth friendly products, especially if they come from a local source!  I know this is rather last minute, but if anyone has suggestions of what products, or businesses should be included in a “Green Friday” campaign, please leave them in the comments!

1. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

I just sent this email:

Dear Buy Cincy:

I know you just finished a “buy local” campaign, and that this is short notice, but I just came up with an idea for “Green Friday.”

I thought it would be a concept you’d enjoy.

Cheers!

The Dean of Cincinnati

2. Bearman says:

Why is the international day of Buy Nothing different than the US day?

3. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

I don’t think refusing to shop for one day will destroy the economy. Perhaps Green Friday should become a way of life.

4. Who Cares? says:

I don’t think refusing to shop for one day will destroy the economy.

Then what is the point of this buy nothing day?  How ironic that Buy Nothing Day coincides with Black Friday?

What genius thought up the idea that we buy too much stuff and that is what harms the planet?  Me getting up early on Friday to go buy gifts for my loved ones is not destroying the planet…

But if millions of people actually bought into these idiot’s ideas….that actually could hurt the economy.  I think that if this actaully worked and Black Friday actaully turned out to not put stores in the black….then that would hurt the economy…

5. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Overconsumption is bad for the environment. We’re about 5% of the world’s population and we use 25% of the world’s resources. It’s an unsustainable way to live. The shopocalypse is coming and we must ask ourselves What Would Jesus Buy?

The economy has been hurt by the idiots on Wall Street and the politicians that bailed them out without getting anything for the taxpayer in return. We need to start producing sustainable technologies and products. And we need to stop the mindless consumerism that has taken us from being the biggest creditor to the biggest debtor nation.

Can I get a chang-a-lujah?

6. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:
  7. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

I think it’s funny that on this page there is an ad for Costco’s “Black Friday” deals. But I’m reading this significantly past Black Friday/ Green Friday/ Buy Nothing Day.
    I would also like to propose that we all make our loved ones sock puppets, poetry and cookies this Christmas. Support creativity, not consumerism.