Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cincinnati NAACP Mayoral Candidate Forum - Exclusive Video!

Posted by Justin Jeffre

Photo courtesy of here.

This week, the Cincinnati NAACP held a mayoral forum, and we’ve got video footage.  Watch Dr. Brad “McDreamy” Wenstrup and Jason “The Dean” H aap.  Here are their main speeches, each one at about ten minutes.  Check back at The Beacon in a few days, and we’ll have the question sessions uploaded, where you can watch Wenstrup talk about his friendship with Joe Deters, and see Tom Luken yell at The Dean for potentially supporting Amtrak!

In Wenstrup’s speech, he talks about his experience as both a health care professional and an Iraq veteran.  He talks about the need for leadership, saying City Hall needs less red tape to promote small business.  He says neighborhoods need to be safe in order to attract businesses.

The Dean at Cincinnati NAACP Mayoral Forum, May 2009 from Cincinnati Beacon on Vimeo.

The Dean says the local NAACP should be careful not to support Republicans just because they dislike the local Democrats.  He calls for an independent political movement.  He is a supporter of President Obama’s passenger rail plan, so he opposes the NAACP petition language while also opposing the Streetcar.  He calls for the City’s anti-marijuana ordinance to be repealed, for the neighborhoods to receive funds from the sale of the Blue Ash airport, for the neighborhoods to self-identify their greatest asset which could benefit from development, for a hiring freeze on new police, and for an elimination of the costly and unnecessary mayoral primary.

1. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

At the very end of the video, I did not mean to say “every year” in regards to savings realized from the mayoral primary.  My apologies.  That should be “every cycle,” like I said earlier in the speech!

2. anon says:

OK, I’m stupid -how do I get your speech to play Dean?

3. Donald says:

I write this with all due respect:

Isn’t it time to give up the “Dean” moniker?  If Jason Haap is actually going to run for mayor (and I’m not yet convinced that he is), shouldn’t he be unafraid for his own writing to appear under (or above, depending on the formatting) his own name on his own blog?

It’s difficult to treat as a serious candidate someone who insists writing under a pseudonym, and goes to such lengths as to ensure that even in comments to his posts, his name won’t appear without alteration.

It’s time to decide:  does Haap actually want to be mayor?  Does he believe that if elected, he could perform the duties of the office competently and in the bests interests of the city?  Or is this campaign just an exercise in vanity, designed to make fun of the electoral process and “punish” the city for not adopting his preferred method of voting?  If it’s the latter, perhaps the “Dean” sock should be replaced with “Monty Brewster.”

4. Justice says:

JJ,
    You said in another thread that Dean gave a better presentation at the forum. Why do you think so? Dr. W. seemed far better prepared and talked about a wider range of topics than Jason. Jason spent the majority of his time trying not to be as offensive to the group in person as he is on this blog. For that, he won?

5. Jones says:

Bwaaaah Ha Ha Ha!!  Dean’s speech doesn’t play very well. Somebody turned on the echo & the wah-wah!

Dean, you really could have spiffed it up on the attire. You look like you just finished shopping in the baby aisle at Wal-Mart to pick up pablum & diapers. Take the dress shirts & jackets to the cleaners for a good wash & press. Start putting them on. That damned shirt doesn’t even look like it was starched & ironed. The tattle-tale gray Tshirt is showing. Not good at all. And I’ll bet you had on a pair of blue jeans that you dug up out of the pile. There were gym shoes on the feet, no doubt. Don’t start insulting the voters so early in the game. Hire an image consultant because at jump, you look like a rank flunkie. If you don’t look smart, no one’s going to pay attention to your campaign rhetoric because they’ll be sitting in the bleachers laughing at your threads & duds.

My burning question is why Dr. Wenstrup was only given 8+ minutes & Dean wah-wahs on for over 11 minutes. Seems to be some disparity and inequality on the time. And just where was Mallory?  Why wasn’t he invited to this little party? Why didn’t Jeffre post a note about Mallory’s presence?

Anon 3:44, you aren’t stupid. Jeffre can’t seem to get the blather synched.

6. Wolfie says:

VERY NICE DEAN!

But Dude Slitherman was very disrespectful to you when you were speaking.  he didn;t even try to attempt like he was paying attention and got up and walked away for a bit.  TOTAL ass.

Anyway.  Good points Dean-o

I really liked the way you called out the calls of no confidence on the Dems without saying anything about the Repubs.  Nice work.

On the presentation front. Just a few poiters.

SLOOOOOOW DOWN and hold your head up.  You talk very fast

Hold your eye contact with people.  Make eye contact.  Hold. Scan the audience and do it again.

Smile and use a sheet of talking points and try not to say “ummm”

Now how about working the GAY COMMUNITY and Marching in the Pride Parade?

7. Urbanists II is Dead says:

I assume you’ve submitted enough certified petition signatures to appear on the ballot?  Otherwise referrring to yourself in the third person as a candidate violates your definition of same.

8. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Vimeo has playback problems on old, out-of-date computers.

9. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

anon #2:

YouTube has a 10 minute length limit, while Vimeo has a longer limit.  As mentioned above, though, Vimeo has playback problems on older machines—but better quality on machines where it works (at least in my experience).

For example, the clip barely plays on my old eMac, but my newer PC laptop shows it as higher quality than the Wenstrup YouTube clip.

I haven’t tried it, but it looks like you can download videos from Vimeo using a service like this:

I presume playback from a local machine might avoid the online playback problems?

11. Jones et al. says:

Jones is right. If you are serious about this, you need to hire someone like Mo Getz Rouse and learn how to public speak, dress, and play the part of a mayor of a big city. 2 current city council memebers have used her in this city as well as other candidates in other cities to get not only on a ballot, but get elected.

Your competition is wearing easily a thousand dollar suit, and while you may want to buck the system, that is what people want to see- someone who is a professional in appearance as well as command respect with their voice.

You make some solid points, but to play the game, you have to look the game. If not, stop now and save the money. Time to step it up and do it right and give then a run. Don’t be a has been. Make it a horse race. Actually, look at how they prep a horse for a race, all of the dressing that goes into that! The baths, the oils that are applied to the coat, the dressings and the braiding of the mane. You need to look good to run well.

12. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

I know how to put on a tie.  I didn’t feel like it.

You really mean that we’re going to discuss my wardrobe, and not the points raised in both video clips?

13. Everyday says:

I don’t feel like putting a starched shirt and tie on everyday- and polishing my shoes once a week, and paying the $1.25 to have my shirts cut into my neck, but to play the role, you have to act like it.

This town looks at stuff like that. Like it or not, we are 25 years behind California with casual dress in a board room everyday. You have to dress the part to get the part. If you are serious about this, you are going to have to act like it to get some of your very valid good points across to people. They aren’t going to listen to you if you are standing next to a podiatrist who is wearing a long sleeve shirt, expensive tie and a suit. They will be fickle and vote for him just because they like his tie! And take a look at pictures from the National Mayor’s conference. You don’t see casual dress anyplace. If you do, it is pressed, tailored and starched Khaki’s and button down shirts or polos.

Money wise, hit TJ Max- for the ties. Spend the money to get a suit taken in that you can get at Target, but you have to dress the part to even be taken seriously.

Sad but true. You can have all the right answers to the all the problems, but unless you look like an executive, no one will take you serious. And it is a 24/7 campaign look you have to take from July 1 on. Sorry but that is what it takes to get elected in this sorry assed town. Black brief case as well. And not a canvas one either- leather.

Play the role. Get a public speaking instructor. If you want it, you have to pay for it. It is more than issues. It is the marketing and packaging of a candidate that gets them elected.

14. one21 says:

Why do you put the title “mcDreamy” into the title of Dr. Wenstrup’s speech?

15. Jones says:

Buck up, Dean. It’s only going to get rougher as the campaign season wears on & you’ll have to suck up all the criticism, barbs, jabs, snide remarks, & everything in between.

In addition to the threads of poor choice, what’s your plans for:

1.) Actually reducing the crime in this City
    2.) The City’s pension fund
    3.) Enforcement of building codes, i.e., tumbledown slumlord properties
    4.) GBLT issues
    5.) The VOA-Pogue sex pervert center, the Drop-In, the proposed CityLink, etc.

Nobody wants to hear your rhetoric in slamming Democrats or anyone else. They want to hear about what YOU are going to do about the issues that matter most to them. You’ve got 52 neighborhoods you have to cover to get their weigh-in on topics. You’re going to have to deal with residents-taxpayers you absolutely loathe.

You’d better start doing your homework instead of playing on the computer all day. And, when you get to each neighborhood, you need to listen to what is being told to you. Then, you need to go back to those people with common-sense solutions.

Frankly Dean, I don’t think you have the backbone & cajones to see this through. You’ve already insulted the NAACP present at this meeting, not only with your attire, but with your attacks. Dr. Wenstrup clearly walked all over you & backed up to make sure you were squashed. Too bad Smitty exercised poor manners & judgment, but that’s par for the course for that clown.

16. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Jones,

I suppose you are asking Wenstrup the same?  The truth is that he did not raise a single specific plan, and I offered several.  Do you really disagree?  Really?

17. Jones says:

Dean, I don’t ask any candidate, I demand results or they don’t get my votes. What I demand of you, goes across the board equally for Dr. Wenstrup, Mark Mallory & anyone else running for political office.

Whether I disagree with you or not isn’t the point. I’m a voter. I’m a taxpayer. And I expect to hear something concrete from candidates & see plans. That includes covering all the issues faced by Cincinnatians today & tomorrow. Not just your pet projects & ideas. Dean, you covered your pet ideas & jabbed the ones you don’t like, including Democrats, which was a poor idea. Rather childish, actually. In this forum, Dr. Wenstrup took the high road, not addressing any particular topic, to get a sense of the people present. His plain business attire permitted him to do that. However, I fully expect Dr. Wenstrup to start addressing issues very soon, or, he’ll be another face in the sea of lying bellicose politicians. I have my criteria for politicians, as does everyone else. You will be judged, you will be weighted, among a whole host of other points. The voters aren’t going to agree with you 100% all the time on this campaign.

That’s another thing, Dean. You need to shed the arrogant attitude before you show up at a neighborhood meeting, a public forum, or other events where the voters will be present. You’ve got plenty of homework to do & you’d better get to it rather than get all hostile & show your negative character.

Additionally, I asked this question before & it was glossed off - where was Mallory? Was he even invited? If he wasn’t invited, what was up with that?

18. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Donald, the Dean has blogged for years as a hobby and I see no reason why he can’t continue to enjoy his hobby and keep it separate from his campaign. Jason didn’t go to the NAACP and speak as “the Dean”. He spoke as himself. His speech was certainly serious and his audience certainly didn’t take it as a joke. He put issues on the table that no other candidate will address in a serious way.

Jason wasn’t reading from a script and he specifically tackled the issues that his audience cared about. Dr. Wenstrup was vague and didn’t give any real specifics even when asked directly.

Very early in Jason’s speech he talked about his difference of opinion on the language used in the current petition. It was a very straight forward, bold and honest approach. I’m sure Wenstrup has some policy positions that are out of line with the NAACP’s but he didn’t take them on.

Jones, you have no clue about what the electoral arena is supposed to be about. It is about having a serious discussion about the direction of our city. If you would rather have a fashion show then go to NY and pick up a new computer while you are at it. It’s fine if you see politics in such a shallow way, but please don’t clog up this thread with that crap. We’re here to talk about real issues, not to solicit fashion tips.

Mallory was invited and didn’t show. Neither candidate was cut off.

Urbanists II is Dead, I assume you read where it says posted by Justin Jeffre.

Everyday, Jason has been to several NAACP meetings before and he dressed the way he usually does when he attends them. I would have like to see him more dressed up, but it is all relative. I’ve seen candidates for President give speeches without ties. I remember seeing Obama in a jump suit one time. It depends on the event and he was received well by the audience which is all that matters.

Wolfie, he did speak fast but that was only because they had limited time and he wanted to address as many issues as possible.

Nobody wants to hear your rhetoric in slamming Democrats or anyone else.

How do you know what everybody wants to hear? The NAACP slammed some Democrats and Jason said they should also slam the Republicans as well. I think nearly everybody in the room was in agreement with him.

As someone involved in the political action committee I can tell you he certainly did address the issues that the audience cared about most and he took question which I’ll post soon.

He didn’t attack anyone and Wenstrup didn’t say anything specific and he doesn’t seem to understand the concerns of the NAACP. You probably thought W won every debate he was in also.

19. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Why do you put the title “mcDreamy” into the title of Dr. Wenstrup’s speech?

Can’t you read where it says posted by Justin Jeffre? I posted both of their nicknames because I thought it would be more entertaining. I read where Dr. Wenstrup was rated as one of the top best looking doctor and it said he had been given the nickname, I didn’t comment on how he looked.

20. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Jones, I don’t believe you. I demand you post a copy of the questions you emailed Mallory and Wenstrup here.

Jason didn’t really give the Democrats a jab though they certainly deserve one. Some in the NAACP membership have been giving the Democrats a well earned jab and he said that was fine but they should also make sure they don’t give people the impression that the Republicans are better.

He certainly did give concrete plans, much more so than Mallory or Wenstrup have thus far. And he covered the issues that his audience cared about. He wasn’t talking to all of Cincinnati. He was talking to the NAACP.

How do you get a sense of the people present by blabbing on about nothing in particular? I didn’t realize that wearing business attire allows a candidate to speak for nearly ten minutes without saying anything substantive. If that’s really the case then politicians should be prohibited from wearing business attire.

Not only does Jones hold foolish double standards, but he is also so arrogant that he feels the need to tell people how to dress and that people won’t agree you 100% of the time. Don’t waste your time responding to his nonsense. Lets stick to the issues here.

21. Jones says:

Jones, you have no clue about what the electoral arena is supposed to be about.

Oh really Jeffre. I’ve held political office & I KNOW EXACTLY what it takes to engage the voters. The image is part of the road trip here, San Antonio, Pittsburgh, DesMoines, Chicago, & places in between.

Jeffre, I have a new computer, in fact, I acquire the latest & the greatest every year. The echo & wah-wah was absolutely hilarious! Try the Paris, Milan & London fashion shows, Jeffre. They might improve your image.

Jeffre, this is politics. A portion of politics is image, your definition is fashion show. What did you do, Jeffre?  Pick out Dean’s threads for the NAACP get-together?  No surprise there. Your boy Dean has decided to run & the politesse & the gloves come off. He’ll be held to the exact same standard as the rest of them.

I’ve put REAL issues out there, 4 of them as I recall. Very important topics with the voters. And for you to call those topics crap, Jeffre, proves you find politics to be a sick, shallow joke. If the two of you can’t handle the heat, then save the taxpayers some money & go back to your “hobby” of playing all day, every day.

Take a little ExLax before you retire for the night, Jeffre. You’ll feel better in the morning. A lot less anal retentive, shall we say.

22. Jones says:

Demand, Jeffre?  Oh, I don’t think so. Who do you think you are to issue dictates & demands?

The 5 topics (erred in last post at 4) are the exact same ones that are out there for ALL candidates, including those who expressed interest in City Council.

Lets stick to the issues here.

1.) actually addressing the crime in Cincinnati
    2.) City pension fund
    3.) building code enforcement on slumlord-absentee landlord properties
    4.) GBLT issues
    5.) The VOA-Pogue sex pervert center, the Drop-In, the proposed CityLink, etc.

Should you geniuses decide these items aren’t pressing issues, then you’d better send a “Media Release” to the neighborhoods that you’ve deemed them frivolous.

Oh, this going to be so much fun again this election go-around. Last time I had a good laugh was when Jeffre toodled around in that oil-burning, gas belching bookmobile.

23. still21 says:

Can’t you read where it says posted by Justin Jeffre?

When you click on the You tube video I can read where it says “cincinnati beacon” so though I can read that you have posted the article I have no idea which of the 2 stooges edited and posted the video to you tube with the commment.  Sorry my psychic powers are down

24. Justice says:

Jason said:

“If you read CityBeat you might be aware that I kind of revoked my support of the streetcar petition language although I’m against the streetcar itself….”

Meaning: I flip flopped on the issue because David Pepper said there was a conflict. Why don’t you check out CityBeat instead of reading about it on my site, where I thoroughly trashed your efforts.

“I support President Obama’s rail plan and I’m having a little bit of conflict in myself trying to figure out how I can support the rail plan and support the NAACP petition that appears to be against President Obama’s rail plan…”

Meaning: You people are too stupid to see that Finney is duping you. Oh and by the way, I called your President and Legal redress chair a liar on my blog, repeatedly. I’m pretending to have a conflict in front of you but as soon as I get back to the safety of my computer, I’ll continue to write about how dishonest I think they are.

“I’ve called on them (City Hall)to put the issue on the ballot themselves…If there’s any concern about the Obama rail plan versus the streetcar..I call on them to put it on themselves…If city council does not put it on the ballot, that would be a pretty explicit statement that they do not think there is a fear of any kind of conflict..”

Meaning: City Council knows there is no conflict. Jason knows there is no conflict. All the supporters know there is no conflict. All the opposition knows there is no conflict. Yet I have to pretend to be too dense to see that there is no conflict in order to have something to blog about.

Jason, you said it yourself. If City Council is not going to put the issue on the ballot, there is no conflict, so why are you continuing to beat this dead horse and blog about something YOU SAID is basically a non-issue? On this blog you are acting like you believe the streetcar interferes with the Obama rail plan, yet in person you admit there is no fear of conflict from anyone in government. It seems that YOU are the one who is making stuff up buddy. Thank goodness for video cameras!!!!

25. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

1.) Actually reducing the crime in this City

This 2005 report detailed the specific behaviors of some of the most crime-ridden spots in the City:  http://www.uc.edu/oscor/FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS.pdf

As I said in my speech, I think we need to engage in the kind of policing that research shows has worked and has reduced crime.  I would not pull cops off a beat at a particular location like these mentioned once crime dropped; rather, they would be there (or nearby) permanently.

2.) The City’s pension fund

I have no idea, on a large scale, how to crawl out of that. I’m open.  I do think, however, that picking up things like an operating-cost deficit yearly from the Streetcar (like happens in Portland) is a bad idea when facing bankruptcy.

3.) Enforcement of building codes, i.e., tumbledown slumlord properties

Code enforcement needs to be equal and not selectively enforced.  For example, if you are a good landlord, and you’ve just invested $15,000 rehabilitating a house in Clifton—with all new replacement windows and a new air-conditioner/furnace—then I don’t think that’s the right time for the City to slap a threat on you over unpainted soffetts (particularly if the rest of the street has even more damaged gutters).  That’s a real-life example, by the way.  Landlords should not face court time over anonymous reports.

I also think we need to be careful in our rush to demolish historical assets.  I prefer renovation to demolition.

We cannot let renegade community groups take the law into their own hands, either.

4.) GBLT issues

I think the City should immediately implement a Domestic Partnership registry, and I think City should offer DP benefits to workers.

5.) The VOA-Pogue sex pervert center, the Drop-In, the proposed CityLink, etc.

Can you be more specific?

26. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

How do I know they won’t?  They are not out for the summer yet?

I am free to change my mind as my information changes, aren’t I?  Or do you prefer people to be closed-minded and dogmatic?

27. The woman in the room says:

Jason, are you serious about this or are you just running to raise issues and stir the pot? There is a difference here.

IF you are serious, then it may be time to distance yourself from your “hobby” here, people will toss this back in your face the closest it gets to election time, it is time to step up to the plate, read Dress for Success and do it.

But every word you have ever written here is going to be pulled and tossed at you. And Justin, you will have had some influence on this as well. It is going to be a nasty erection- oops- election. And they are going on a fishing trip.

All I know, People Remember Dr. Brad when he was an SAE at UC and certain theme parties he organized. He better hope “certain” pictures of him don’t surface because he can’t claim, young, dumb, stupid, drunk and Animal House for a group of them! And yes Alex, Time to ask your candidate if there are pictures anywhere!
    WE KNOW YOU READ HERE!

Jason, this goes back over 30 years ago and you think that they won’t look at a video of you in a plaid shirt? You need to get a grip, it is more than issues people look at.

I am beginning to think that you aren’t a serious candidate and if I was Brad, I’d blow you off.

There was a good at PHC on Saturday morning talking about another candidate that they may run out of no where. This person has NOTHING to do with team M&M! So, it should get interesting.

28. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Sure you have Jones. And we’re still waiting to see the emails you sent to the other candidates with your questions. I’m sure you aren’t using double standards, oh wait, it looks like you are. Will they give you such prompt responses?

29. Yes they are says:

Jason, You are saying you are going to run for mayor- They be ready to deal with the most closed minded group of people in the country! You see how easily they all jumped to vote for an African American president when most of them didn’t understand the issues! And you want them to even try to understand some of the ideas you and boy singer have proposed? Ain’t ever gonna happen in our life time.

30. anon says:

Justice: I called your President and Legal redress chair a liar…

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but I don’t recall the Dean ever calling Chris Finney a liar. Based on my experience, Finney withholds information, but I wouldn’t call him a liar.

As for Smitherman, he both lies and repeats information he knows to be false. Good qualities for a Finney mouthpiece, to be sure. Smitherman plays the patsy, gets his hands dirty and eventually takes the fall. Meanwhile, Finney cashes the checks and moves on to the next dummy.

If nothing else, Finney provides amusing albeit repetitive local political schtick, emphasis on local. His one-trick ponies may continue be greeted with applause by some of SW Ohio’s knuckle draggers, but he’ll never play the better rooms. No one knows that better than Finney. (Won’t ye shed a tear wi’ me at such promise ne’er to be fulfilled?)

President and Legal redress chair

Also, Justice, in the interests of improving your writing, you may wish to review the rules of correct capitalization. They’re quite simple and easy to remember: http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp

31. Justice says:

Doc W put laid out a platform that will get the NAACP endorsement. He has a clear and concise plan to help the Black Community and move our City forward. The NAACP will do our part within the law to help Doc W get elected, and defeat Mallory and his clan. Dean, you had your chance to get the support of the Black community but you blew it when you bit the hand that feed you.

32. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

He barely laid out a platform at all.  But why not articulate his top five points, as mentioned in either his speech or the questions.

Actually, make sure to articulate his plan that is supported by the black community.  Is it his plan for “safety,” mentioned ad nauseum?  Maybe they really like his personal friendship with Joe Deters.  Or is it how he never thought about racism when he grew up?

Is it his plan for citizens to volunteer more?  Maybe his earth-shattering idea to cut red tape at City Hall.

Justice, why not summarize five of my points that “bit the hand” of the black community?  HINT:  you will not find one from that speech.

33. .Cincy..Capell. says:

Wow, so now it’s “Doc W” Smitherman? Go ahead and campaign for Dr. McDreamy. You will rack up even more complaints with the IRS against your tax exempt status.

34. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Jones, you are incorrect again. I do run this show and I suggest you go read our rules and follow them closely or your comments will not be posted. You now have a time out.

35. .Cincy..Capell's Dead Cat says:

#31 and #33 don’t know what they’re talking about, as usual.  The NAACP itself can’t endorse, though its members are free to campaign for anyone they want.  Smitherman can personally do anything he pleases for “Doc W”.  Correcting these fools is like beating a dead horse…or feeding your dead cat to your wife.

36. Justice says:

Justice #31 is up to his same old tired tricks. Simple minds are at it again. The original Justice is independent and has never in the past and will never in the future pretend to speak for any organization or the Black, White, Latino, Asian or any other community. Dean, can’t you see the IP addys? You’ve been advised numerous times before to no avail, so I’m beginning to wonder about you and JJ now. What kind of games are YOU up to?

I don’t care about someone using this name, it’s a free country. What I take offense to and you two are part of the problem for not addressing it, is impostor #31 is using deceptive tactics to make it look like the NAACP is doing something it isn’t. That is wrong and I bet if it were someone trying to set up some GLTB organization, you’d stop them dead in their tracks. We wouldn’t even see anything that was written because you’d nix it ASAP and wouldn’t publish it. Will you do the same in this situation? Actions speak louder than words.

37. Jeff Capell's Only Date says:

It may be illegal, but hasn’t stopped Smitherman from using the local NAACP for political purposes not allowed by it’s tax status. One complaint has already been filed against them. Now with Justice/Smitherman stating the inevitable, that the NAACP will be campaigning for Dr. McDreamy, more will follow.

38. Justice says:

Anon #30,
    Take your grammar suggestions and tell it to someone who really cares.

I don’t care if you’d call Finney a liar or not. Read my post grammar king and see that I was referring to Dean’s multiple posts calling them liars. Nobody really cares about what you think, but thanks for chiming in. You should look up links for reading comprehension for yourself instead of grammar links for others. Chris Finney is cashing in on the stupidity of people in government. There is nothing illegal about that. When faced with their ignorance, they do something more stupid in return, like the COAST/Findlay Market debacle. We need smarter people in government or else we all will continue to pay the price for their ignorance. Profiting from stupidity in Cincinnati is a cash cow for smart attorneys because of people like you!

39. Come on says:

With Chrissy Finney Fanny Ass Slapper in the Room: Don’t tell me we don’t know who is going to endorse who? It doesn’t take a podiatrist to figure this one out! Or a Rocket Scientist! Or A Coast member? Or a boy band singer! Or a brain surgeon or a card carrying member of the NAACP or NCAA!

40. Grammar King says:

Justice 38: Read my post grammar king and see that I was referring to Dean’s multiple posts calling them liars.

Justice 38, per comment #30, I’m unaware of any examples of the Dean calling Chris Finney a liar. I did a cursory Beacon archive keyword search of “Finney” and “liar,” but was unable to locate any examples. Would you please share links to some of the “multiple posts” in which the Dean allegedly calls Finney a liar?*

Take your grammar suggestions and tell it to someone who really cares.

Thoughtful readers appreciate good writing, hence your statement simply expresses contempt for anyone who might take you seriously.

On that conclusion, I am pleased to say, we find common ground.

* Dean, any examples?

41. Wolie says:

Its going to be very interesting if Chrissy Smitherman endorses Westrup.  Especially since they are going to make it all about not wasting money on things the city doesn’t need.  The real issue that needs to be pushed is if that saved money will go to programs for the poor and african american community which it WILL NOT.

Chrissy’s gotta be getting something out of this.  Because basically he is selling out his own people.

42. Donald says:

Justin:

If Jason had a culinary blog, or a sport-oriented blog, or a book review blog, then I’d agree it’s just a “hobby” that could be kept “separate from the campaign.”  But he doesn’t.  The Beacon focuses on local political issues.  And Jason posts under a pseudonym that he has, at various times, referred to as “a fictional character.”  So is what’s posted here by “the Dean” reflective of putative Mayor Jason H.‘s viewpoints?

And it raises a legitimate question:  Why is Jason so afraid of being Googled?

Say what you want about Qualls, Pepper, or Triantafilou:  love them, hate them, or something in between.  But at least they’re willing to attach their own names to their positions.

43. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

#36, get over it. Start a new user name or whatever. People have posted things under my name in the past. It sucks, but that stuff happens and we don’t have time to check every IP address and confirm who is who. If I click on that IP I see the name Justice.

Donald, I see no reason why Jason can’t have a political blog as his “hobby”. His name is listed at the bottom of the page and I believe everybody that follows his blogging knows who he is. If his campaign makes a statement we send out press releases that say his name. He has a separate webpage for that stuff. Since he is “the Dean” then obviously the thoughts he posts here are reflective of his viewpoints.

Jason was asked about something he wrote here at the NAACP forum. Those questions are fair game, but that doesn’t mean he has to change his hobby. There’s no law against blogging under a pseudonym and I don’t think Qualls, Pepper or Triantafilou’s blogs compare to the Beacon. Two of the three don’t take comments and Pepper ignores questions all the time and we know he has blogged under pseudonyms before.

“The Dean” is very responsive to his readers and anybody can Google him. He’s taken on some pretty big fish in this town and people have tried to smear his name. To pretend he doesn’t attach his name to his positions is rubbish. Instead of trying to impose your blogging decorum on him why don’t you tell us what you think about his policy positions vs. Dr. Wenstrup’s positions or lack thereof?

Wolfie, Smitherman hasn’t endorsed Wenstrup so don’t pretend he has. Quite frankly you wouldn’t have a problem if he endorsed Mallory though he hasn’t done anything for the black community and has failed to deliver on the only plan he had during campaign season. He’s opposed the NAACP on every effort and if anyone has sold out his own people it would be Mallory. He didn’t even bother to show up to this forum and defend his piss poor record and he didn’t even bother to send any of his paid staff. What kind of leadership is that?

44. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Grammar King,

I have no memory of ever saying that about Finney.  I do have a memory of opposing him sometimes, and a history of saying things that are supportive of him and/or COAST.  Either way, someone is pissed at me.

I have decided that this strand is actually very flattering.  I guess no one knows how to say anything contrary to my positions, so they are picking on totally irrelevant things because that’s all they’ve got.

45. Wolfie says:

Hello?  I am not pretending he is JJ so get the chip off thy shoulder.  I said:

Its going to be very interesting if Chrissy Smitherman endorses Westrup

Amd lets get something STRAIGHT (LOL) JJ.  I don’t exactly LOVE Mallory.  I would prefer that neither Westrup, any Republican or Malory WOULD NOT WIN.  BUT to play devils advocate here it doesn’t surprise me that he’s opposed the Cinci NAACP on every effort considering that the Local NAACP considering their behavior to him.  (And you REALLY should add Cincy or Local to NAACP when talking about Sleazermans band of lemmings because they are so out of step with the National Chapter all they share is the same)

But thats really neither hear or there and if you think Mallory has sold out his people.  Just wait and see what happens if a Repub does get the Mayors seat.  You think there is no money for programs now.  Just wait.

46. Grammar King says:

Dean, thanks for the fast reply.

The ball’s now in Justice’s corner. If she is unable to support her allegation that you called Chris Finney a liar in “multiple posts,” then we may conclude that Justice is blind.

If she cannot produce any examples, then I suggest her punishment for lying should be a public apology to The Dean or else be banned from posting for a month.

47. Urbanists II is Dead says:

Justin: you’ve suggested if the YWCA opposes streetcars that makes it a women’s issue; however ridiculous that sounds you appear to want to respect that notion.

Dean is emphatic that someone campaigning for elected office is not, nor should be referred to as, a candidate until that person is eligible to appear on the ballot.

Shouldn’t you respect Dean’s position and refrain from impugning his campaign by calling him a candidate?

48. Grammar King says:

Me: The ball’s now in Justice’s corner.

Sorry, I meant to write “the ball’s now in Justice’s court,” an unsuccessful, but not altogether effing-horrible double entendre.

49. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

The NAACP only voted no confidence in Mallory very recently because of his failure to support any of the issues that matter to them. He was invited to come and defend himself, but he knew there’s no good defense for his record so he didn’t even bother.

That is just nonsense Wolfie. The local chapter isn’t out of step with the National Office at all and you shouldn’t be so disrespectful to our local chapter. Remember that there are gay members, they aren’t “lemmings” and neither is anyone else. There are some very good activists in the organization which is membership driven. They’ve voted no confidence in Mallory, the Executive Committee and the President can only make recommendations.

Urbanists II is Dead, the reason you didn’t quote me is because I didn’t say that. I said it isn’t my place (or yours) to tell women’s organizations what are or aren’t women’s issues. If an issue affects blacks or women then they can certainly take a strong position on it. After all, they are stake holders in this community.

The Dean is correct in that you aren’t officially a candidate until you turn in enough signatures and pay your filing fee. That’s the BOE’s official position.

Once Jason does that many people (probably you) will argue that he’s still not a real candidate because he’s not dialing for corporate dollars. Jason hasn’t asked anyone to refrain from calling him a candidate that I’m aware of.

Stop making stuff up and clogging up our thread your with BS. People like you want to talk about anything but the issues.

It’s a shame because this is the reason why often people don’t want to get engaged in politics. But the lesson of history is that if you don’t turn onto politics, politics will turn on to you in a very venomous way.

50. anon says:

There is, however a difference between being an “official candidate” and being a “viable candidate” Jason might get to be one, but he will never be the other.

51. Urbanists II Dead says:

And it’s not your place to characterize Dean as a candidate if he himself doesn’t believe he is.  That’s not BS, that’s consideration.

Personally I’ve never made the distinction and thought Dean silly for doing so, but that’s his call and you should respect it and stop misrepresenting his status (per his definition).

52. Wolfie says:

Oh please.  For awhile there I thought you MIGHT actually have a clue.  Guess I was wrong.  And ANY disrespect that I show to the LOCAL NAACP they have rightfully earned after Smithermans disgusting triad at the gay comminity after the appoint of Finney, Finney himself, and now its alignment with anti GLBT entitiies.  Don’t forget that Mr. Jeffre’s. Others may be afriad to call you and the NAACP out on it but I am not.  The National Headqurters would NEVER be so disregarding of another group of oppressed people as Smitherman and the NAACP LOCAL has been.

53. Thanks says:

#50 got it right!

So what is is Jason? If it is for real, time to play the part. If not- stop the game and blow the rest of them out of the water.

And Nate did the most wonderful letter ever to the National NAACP and IRS. So have you gotten an answer yet Nate? You nailed them on the tax status. Period, end of sentence, end of Slimeyman and Finney. Or should be.

54. Justice says:

Justin #43 said

#36, get over it. Start a new user name or whatever.

In case you missed it, I wrote in post #36:

I don’t care about someone using this name, it’s a free country.

JJ, The Dean had no problem calling out LG for allegedly using different names to post from the “same computer” a few weeks ago, so I know you can see the IP addys. Next time, don’t waste your time going into discourse with someone pretending to speak on behalf of the NAACP or the Black community. It made him look silly.

55. anon says:

Justin: The local chapter isn’t out of step with the National Office at all and you shouldn’t be so disrespectful to our local chapter.

Gosh, NAACP national is also being paid by Chris Finney to subvert President Obama’s rail plan? (Barack should have bought a table at the Freedom Fund Dinner.)

Aside to Wolfie, don’t kid yourself about NAACP national. They’ve had plenty of ethics problems. The Ben Chavis years, for example. Also, via Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAACP#Criticism

The non-profit rating organization Charity Navigator lists the NAACP as #7 on their list of “10 Highly Paid CEOs at Low-Rated Charities”. Charity Navigator rates the NAACP’s finances at zero out of four stars, in part because only 52.8% of the NAACP expenditures go towards programs, with the rest going towards administration and fund raising.

In other words, Smitherman’s right at home. He’s found a comfy perch, and with respectful friends like Justin, he can make the mo$t of it.

56. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

Wolfie, you need to get a clue. I said that I found Smitherman’s comment to be offensive and that doesn’t represent the membership. Neither the membership nor the executive committee has ever taken any anti-gay stance. You can take issue with Smitherman all you want, but to pretend the local chapter has done anything against the gay community is dishonest and you constantly imply that. There is nothing out of step with the local chapter.

Gosh, the local chapter is being paid by Chris Finney? I didn’t know that. Please provide some proof. And the petition doesn’t subvert anything, it simply gives citizens the power to approve decisions.

Jason laid out more ideas and positions than any other candidate in the race.

57. #54 says:

So we have annointed Justin King? Is that what I read?

58. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) says:

#54, the Dean called him out because somebody made a threat from that IP from what I recall.

So we have annointed Justin King? Is that what I read?

No, that’s not what you read. There’s a lot of nonsense on this blog these days.

59. Momma Mia says:

Do you even have the signatures to be on the ballot? What is the time frame for the election and ballot? Or is this just pre-election Hype?